Font Size: |
Permit Cover 2021


How do you know if you need a permit from the fire department? Find out when it’s needed and what’s required to obtain one.

What activities require permits?

Permits from Richmond Fire-Rescue are required when social, agricultural or construction activities occur, which may pose fire hazards.

Permits are intended to notify the fire department of these hazards or safety considerations. 

We inspect and approve proposed large community events that are open to the public, have large stage displays, may use fireworks, special effects, or pyrotechnics, and/or feature food trucks (or live cooking) on-site, to ensure the venue fulfills fire safety requirements and provides a safe environment to the community. 

NOTE: Please allow for a minimum of two weeks of processing time for all permits.

What activities require permits?

Fireworks Display and Special Effects Permits

Fireworks Display and Special Effects Permits

Apply for a Fireworks/Pyrotechnic Display Permit

Firework displays and special effects are only permitted to be conducted by licensed Fireworks Display Supervisors and Senior Pyrotechnicians. An associated permit fee is applied.

For more information on Firework Regulations, please review the Fire and Life Safety Bylaw 8306.

For permits pertaining to special effects related to filming on City-owned property, please contact the City’s Film and Major Event Liaison to initiate the application process at

NOTE: Richmond Fire-Rescue issues permits for all fireworks displays and special effects on private and City-owned property in Richmond.

Please download the form you require, complete it, then Drag and Drop it back into the space provided below.

Click or drag files to this area to upload. You can upload up to 3 files.

Outdoor Burning Permits

Open Burn Permit

Outdoor burning at any time of the year poses significant health and safety hazards to our community.

As a result, you require two permits: one from Richmond Fire-Rescue, and one from Metro Vancouver.

Open air burning for agricultural purposes is only permitted on agricultural lands between October 1 and April 30, with a permit issued by Richmond Fire-Rescue.

Step 1: Apply for an Outdoor Burn Permit from RFR

Please follow these three steps in order:

  1. Download the Richmond Fire-Rescue Outdoor Burn Permit. (Below in RED)
  2. Fill out the permit, then save a copy to your computer.
  3. Drop and Drag the COMPLETED PERMIT into the space provided below.
Click or drag files to this area to upload. You can upload up to 3 files.

NOTE: Richmond Fire-Rescue may cancel any Open Burning Permit at any time, due to non-compliant conditions on the property and are subject to Richmond Fire-Rescue fees.

Step: 2 Apply for Open Burning Approval from Metro Vancouver

Applicants are also required to obtain Open Burning Approval from Metro Vancouver.

Have you checked if your backyard burning device is permitted? 

Any outdoor burning device is only permitted to burn natural gas, charcoal or propane. 

When purchasing any outdoor burning device, residents should refer to the City of Richmond Fire Protection and Life Safety Bylaw No. 8306.

Fuel Tank Installation/Removal Permits

Fuel Tank Installation/Removal Permits

Apply for a Fuel Tank Installation/Removal Permit

All above and below ground flammable or combustible fuel tanks require a permit prior to installation or removal.

  1. Please download and complete the form
  2. Save the completed form to your computer
  3. Drop and Drag the completed form from your computer back into the space provided
  4. Once received, we will contact you.
Click or drag files to this area to upload. You can upload up to 3 files.