Font Size: |
Permit Cover 2021

Fireworks Display and Special Effects Permits

How do you know if you need a permit from the fire department? Find out when it’s needed and what’s required to obtain one.

What activities require permits?

Permits from Richmond Fire-Rescue are required when social, agricultural or construction activities occur, which may pose fire hazards.

Permits are intended to notify the fire department of these hazards or safety considerations. 

We inspect and approve proposed large community events that are open to the public, have large stage displays, may use fireworks, special effects or pyrotechnics, and/or feature food trucks (or live cooking) on site, to ensure the venue fulfils fire safety requirements and provides a safe environment to the community. 

NOTE: Please allow for a minimum of two weeks processing time for all permits.

What activities require permits?

Fireworks Display and Special Effects Permits

Fireworks Display and Special Effects Permits

Apply for a Fireworks/Pyrotechnic Display Permit

Firework displays and special effects are only permitted to be conducted by licensed Fireworks Display Supervisors and Senior Pyrotechnicians. An associated permit fee is applied.

For more information on Firework Regulations, please review the Fire and Life Safety Bylaw 8306.

For permits pertaining to special effects related to filming on City-owned property, please contact the City’s Film and Major Event Liaison to initiate the application process at

NOTE: Richmond Fire-Rescue issues permits for all fireworks displays and special effects on private and City-owned property in Richmond.

Please download the form you require, complete it, then Drag and Drop it back into the space provided below.

Click or drag files to this area to upload. You can upload up to 3 files.