Font Size: |
Permit Cover 2021

Outdoor Burning Permits

How do you know if you need a permit from the fire department? Find out when it’s needed and what’s required to obtain one.

What activities require permits?

Permits from Richmond Fire-Rescue are required when social, agricultural or construction activities occur, which may pose fire hazards.

Permits are intended to notify the fire department of these hazards or safety considerations. 

We inspect and approve proposed large community events that are open to the public, have large stage displays, may use fireworks, special effects or pyrotechnics, and/or feature food trucks (or live cooking) on site, to ensure the venue fulfils fire safety requirements and provides a safe environment to the community. 

NOTE: Please allow for a minimum of two weeks processing time for all permits.

What activities require permits?

Outdoor Burning Permits

Open Burn Permit

Outdoor burning at any time of the year poses significant health and safety hazards to our community.

As a result, you require two permits: one from Richmond Fire-Rescue, and one from Metro Vancouver.

Open air burning for agricultural purposes is only permitted on agricultural lands between October 1 and April 30, with a permit issued by Richmond Fire-Rescue.

NOTE: Richmond Fire-Rescue may cancel any Open Burning Permit at any time, due to non-compliant conditions on the property and are subject to Richmond Fire-Rescue fees.

Step 1: Apply for an Outdoor Burn Permit from RFR

Please follow these steps in order:

  1. Download the Richmond Fire-Rescue Outdoor Burn Permit. (Below in RED)
  2. Fill out the permit, then save a copy to your computer.
  3. Drop and Drag the COMPLETED PERMIT into the space provided below.
  4. Proceed to STEP 2 below.
Click or drag files to this area to upload. You can upload up to 3 files.

Step: 2 Apply for Open Burning Approval from Metro Vancouver

Applicants are also required to obtain Open Burning Approval from Metro Vancouver.

Have you checked if your backyard burning device is permitted? 

Any outdoor burning device is only permitted to burn natural gas, charcoal or propane. 

When purchasing any outdoor burning device, residents should refer to the City of Richmond Fire Protection and Life Safety Bylaw No. 8306.